Kim Miale, USA
NFL Agent and General Counsel
When you think NFL agents, you think Moneyball. Men in suits shouting ‘show me the money’. Kim Miale is positive proof of someone who fought for her dream and broken every stereotype in her industry. Miale had been working as an agent, but in 2013 the Suffolk Law School graduate joined Roc Nation, an entertainments agency established by Jay-Z – where she now represents some of the biggest names in American football. The 38-year-old has something of a specialism in representing running backs – with 2019 standout Todd Gurley also on her books.
– Miale has represented or co-represented a top-10 draft pick in each of the last four drafts.
– On some negativity in the early parts of her time with Roc Nation, Miale said: “It’s interesting because I was with a lot of the male agents I think that may have said a lot of things off the record or anonymously, but when I was there no one approached me.”
– In 2018 she was named in Sports Business Daily’s Forty Under 40 list of the best and brightest in the industry.
Did you know…
Miale made history at the 2018 NFL draft when Saquon Barkley was the number two pick – the highest picked athlete to have a female agent.
“I feel more confident with Kim Miale negotiating a deal that I am involved in than any attorney I’ve ever worked with, and that is a big statement.” – Former Carolina Panthers CEO Michael Yormack
Marina Granovskaia, Russia
Chelsea FC Director
Marina Granovskaia may well lay claim to being the most powerful woman in sport, and yet we know so little about her. This is what we know for sure. The Russian-Canadian executive joined the Chelsea board in 2013 and has been mainly responsible for player transfers, a role which has seen her both praised, but more recently critcised, by the club’s fans. She has the final say on all transfer transactions and is known for her iron-like negotiation tactics. A central part of Chelsea’s billionaire owner Roman Abramovich’s vast business empire for over two decades, Granovskaia has been described as the most powerful individual at the club not named Abramovich. However, there are reports her influence is on the wane with the corridors of power at Chelsea beginning to question her judgement after appointing Maurizio Sarri. Still, the 44-year-old is the dealmaker for one of the biggest clubs in international sport and as long as Abramovich remains in London, so will she.
– She has been a trusted alley of Abramovich since joining his oil company Sibneft in 1997 before moving to London after he bought Chelsea six years later.
– The respected publication Forbes listed Granovskaia as the fifth most powerful women in international sports when they released their list in 2018.
– Granovskaia is credited with being the driving force behind the club’s massive Nike sponsorship deal which sees them net £60 million per year until 2032.
Did you know…
There is very little known of Granovskaia’s background but she does hold dual Canadian-Russian nationality and speaks both Russian and English.
“She is basically the power at Chelsea. Roman trusts her implicitly.” – A source talking to the London Evening Standard
Bibiana Steinhaus, Germany
If football has been traditionally known as a male dominated sport, then the world of football officiating has been REALLY male dominated. One of the names bucking that trend is Bibiana Steinhaus. The German referee was the first female of officiate in the Bundesliga when she took charge of Werder Bremen’s trip to Hertha Berlin in September 2017, the culmination of years of toil. Having initially taken the whistle in 1999, she has enjoyed almost two decades of progression within the game. From the lower echelons of German football, she has now taken charge of some of the biggest games on the planet. The road has not been easy. She has had to contend with outright sexism within the German game but has swept it aside with a steely professionalism and an element of cutting humour.
– Steinhaus is a trained police officer having risen to the rank of Chief Inspector.
– She became the first woman to officiate in men’s German professional football when she appeared in the 2. Bundesliga in 2007.
– She famously brushed aside Pep Guardiola during his time at Bayern Munich when he put his arm on her shoulder as she was fulfilling fourth official duties in a match against Borussia Monchengladbach.
Did you know…
Steinhaus has completed an impressive triple of refereeing the Women’s World Cup final, Olympic final, and Champions League final.
“It’s such a great honour to be the role model. The opportunities are there, the sport is there, the federation supports female officials in sport, you have every opportunity, go out there and grab it.” – Bibiana Steinhaus