Ghana striker Asamoah Gyan retires from international football 'indefinitely'
Sport360° can exclusively reveal Ghana striker Asamoah Gyan has decided to take an "indefinite break" from international football.
It is our understanding the Al Ain star sent a letter to the Ghanaian Football Association late on Friday night informing them of his decision, which had the "full support of familty and friends".
The 26-year-old, who has been capped 59 times by his country, has cited the "intolerable" abuse he has been subjected to following the Black Stars exit from the recent African Cup of Nations.
Gyan has become public enemy No.1 in his homeland after missing a crucial penalty in Ghana's 1-0 semi-final defeat to Zambia, with many fans holding him responsible for their demise in a competition many had tipped them to win.
To make matters worse Gyan also missed a last minute spot-kick in Ghana's 2010 World Cup quarter-final against Uruguay, a fact not lost on irate fans who took to social networking site Twitter to condemn Gyan for his latest miss.
Gyan has said that is was "not a the decision lightly" to end his international career for the time being as it had been "an incredible honour" to represent his country having made his debut as a 17-year-old in 2003.
The striker, on-loan at Al Ain from Premier League club Sunderland, concludes his letter, according to source at the Ghanaian FA, by stating he will notify the them when, and if, he wishes to return in the future.
Gyan has scored 28 goals in 59 games for his country and netted on his debut against Somalia nine years ago. But he has taken the decision to bow out following the vitriolic abuse he has received after his spot-kick miss.
"I tried to defend @ASAMOAH_GYAN from the time he missed in the WC but this is too much you should retire from the team," wrote one fan shortly after the match. "You let your country down again @ASAMOAH_GYAN," said another.