Floyd Mayweather hits out at Bob Arum and warns Manny Pacquiao over 50-50 split
Another day and yet more rhetoric concerning a possible super fight between boxing's pound-for-pound kings Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jnr.
Last week it was Pacquiao throwing the verbal jabs, claiming his long time foe was running scared from a bout the whole world has waited two, agonising, years to see.
Mayweather, the acid tongued, unbeaten American, was never going to take a public 'beating' lying down and has duly hit back, claiming a fight between the two is unlikely to ever to take place unless the Filipino pugilist dumps his promotor Bob Arum.
"Money" Mayweather has made no secret of his dislike for Arum, his one-time promotor, and has even claimed in the past the Top Rank chief is still bitter over his decision to switch allegiance to Golden Boy Promotions.
Talk of a fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao has dominated the boxing landscape in recent years, but despite as many rounds of negotiations as there is in a fight, still no deal has been inked.
A November showdown later this year had been viwed by many as the most likely date, a notion supported by Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach telling Sport360° in an exclusive interview last month.
Both Mayweather and Pacquiao are due to step into the ring in May and June respectively, with the American looking to extend his professional fight record to 43-0 when he takes on Mexican slugger Miguel Cotto and Pacquiao looking to inflict a first defeat on Timoth Bradley.
With both men expected to come through those tests relatively unscathed, a November bout in Las Vegas, Dallas, or even Dubai, with Roach favouring a desert spectacle in the Middle East, pencilled in for what insiders insist will be the most lucrative fight in boxing history.
But Mayweather isn't convinced, claiming a a 50-50 revenue split - the offer put to him by Pacquiao's advisor Michael Koncz - is simply a no-go while laying the blame for the continuing delay at the door of Arum.
"Do I want the Pacquiao fight? Absolutely. But it's going to be hard to make the fight because Arum is worried about getting money," said Mayweather. "The only way I think a fight [with] the guy with three losses and I-don't-know-how-many draws, the only way that fight happens is he has to leave Bob Arum."
The American, speaking at a press conference to promote his fight with Cotto on May 5, could not resist landing another jibe in Pacquiao's direction, insulting the intelligence of the Filipino Congressman. "Just by speaking to Pacquiao on the phone, I mean, he's not one of the sharpest knives in the drawer," he said.
Meanwhile, Mayweather also explained the reasons why he is so dead against bowing to Pacquiao's demands for a 50-50 split of the fight purse, or even the $50million guarantee to each man and a 55-45 revenue split in PPV monies reportedly offered to him.
"He faces Floyd Mayweather, he's not getting 50-50. Not at all. No one is getting 50-50," said Mayweather. "If I offered him $30 million, he should be happy. If I offered him $30 million and I didn't give money on the back end, why should I? He's with Arum right now, and they're having problems. It's obvious he must not be getting money on the back end."
And on Pacquiao's recent claims Mayweather simply does not want the fight, the self styled "Pretty Boy" retorted: "If I'm scared and I'm a coward, why do you guys want to see me fight?" he said.